Sunday, July 28, 2019

Supply Clerk's (And Family's) Invitation Through Music

The Missonary Purpose can be found in the beginning of
the "Preach My Gospel" personal study booklet.
It begins this way:
Our purpose is to bring others to Christ by inviting them . . . 
One of my duties in my assignment in the Mission Office
of the New Hampshire Manchester Mission is
to order and manage printed materials that
the missionaries use across our three-state mission.
This process begins when those missionaries text me on
either my personal cell phone or on the "supplies" cell phone,
or call or walk into the office with their requests.
Mostly, this is very clerical and straight forward.
It has been interesting to me, therefore, that one of
my first more identifiable "missionary experiences" has come
through that role. The Exeter Elders texted me to request
that I order in a copy of the Children's Song book and 
companion CD format for someone they are teaching.
Their request indicated that this single mother has young
children, at least one of which is on the autism spectrum.
She often had indicated her success/relief using music as
the "chill out" solution when everything else was falling apart.
There were other things they needed as well.
As I confirmed that I had received their message,
I also had to convey that, unfortunately for this situation,
those were supplies that the Mission would not be able to provide,
due both to budgetary watchfulness, but more importantly
because it is viewed generally as an opportunity for ward or unit
members to get involved in the teaching and fellowshipping.

It was a difficult message to key into my phone, 
because of the broad experience I have had in teaching
Primary children these wonderful, pure, doctrine-filled
and remember-able songs (and also playing at the piano 
as they learn and sing). And further, because of
the music connection to the Glissmeyer family's
conversion story, as previously noted in a different blog post.
More than half of my heart, therefore, prompted me to include
an added message: If the ward is unable or not interested
in filling this request, please let us know and we would
personally order and provide the two items to their "friend".

Within 10 days or so, they returned a message that indicated
they would appreciate our help. So I placed the order, and
charged it to the Warner household credit card.

In the spirit of previous experiences of penning a personal
testimony to place inside the front cover of a copy of
the Book of Mormon, my mind began to formulate a plan.
I would write a letter that described our family story about
the "O My Father" hymn heard in Germany so many years ago,
and also my experience with and love of the Primary music.

Then another prompting came. Since this is a shared
 music legacy, I should invite my siblings and their "direct line"
descendants to participate. I reached out to them to respond to
my request to think about, select and write a little about
their favorite song included in that song book.
They would need to get those messages back to me during
the ten days it would take to get the shipment here.
I would transcribe and temp-tape them to the pages
of the music, so they (and I) could convey our own testimonies
that the musical messages evoke.
During phone communication with the Elders, we had offered to drive
the 30 minutes or so to Exeter to deliver the music gift in person,
if that would be helpful. The Elders were excited about this,
but were cautious because they said the investigator was
a bit shy. They would let me reach out to her with my careful
explanation and let her call the tune about contact.
Accordingly, I first "met" Andrea through texting. First, her
responses were welcoming but brief. But quickly she
was the one initiating. When I texted to let them all know
that the music had arrived, we made arrangements to visit
the Canterbury Ward nearer our home base on the next Sunday
to meet her and her family, and hand off the music.
That is what transpired a week ago. When I finally saw this
wonderful young mother directly eye to eye, my first reaction
was how much she reminds me of our daughter Kenzie.
She was very pleased with the gift, and we chatted before
and after the meeting briefly with her fiancee Mike and
the little boy.
I have asked Andrea to let me know what her experience with
the music is, but to date have not heard any thing directly.
(She often works on Sundays and was not at Church today.)
The Exeter Elders report that she is very pleased with the music
and has enjoyed having it.
Regardless of what may or may not happen following
our "invitation", my lamp has been filled by the testimonies
and messages, and gracious assistance from my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment