Sunday, October 6, 2019

Every Common Bush Afire

I open this post with vibrant autumn foliage bush
at the crossroads that lead to Woodstock, Vermont - 
one of my favorite small towns in New England.
(professional photo)

The colors of Fall will be woven into these posts for
at least the next few weeks. After all, crowds here
are paying hundreds of dollars to travel and visit
to see the incredible spectacle.

As part of his message for last month's mission newsletter,
Pres. Hyde of the NHMM presidency, built his message
around this verse by Elizabeth Barrett Browning:

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God,
But only he who sees takes off his shoes.


This scene, above, is also close to Woodstock, and is
representative of the views that burst at every turn.
In fact, this past week as we traveled again to Sharon, Vermont
 for followup training (paired this time with a day 
of service at the Monument site and an overnight stay)
the drive on I-89 was a veritable symphony through the window glass
 at 65 mph, and the sad thing was, we could not stop to
catch the panorama in a photo. Deep red, orange, bright yellow,
many trees making the blend from residual green to
autumn beauty - and no cola-colored sunglasses needed now!


The day of service was overcast, threatening rain,
but the blessing of no rain held til the next day.
It made for subdued scenery, but slightly less intensity
which is not always a bad thing for photography.
Hope you can see the beauty regardless.
This rustic scene that includes one of my favorite subjects
is on Dairy Hill Road that leads up to LDS Lane and
the Monument.

For the past 3-4 weeks now, I have been giddy at the prospect
of foliage season. 
NOW they are beautiful EVERYWHERE!
I began gathering what I considered
beautiful leaves in every outdoor venue
in which we found ourselves.
Some were found walking near our apartment.
Some were gathered on the Incline Trail in Goffstown
that we have hiked twice to get high enough "to see
Manchester, with Boston in the far distance." 
(Couldn't really see Boston, of course.)
A couple were discovered in Concord, Massachusetts,
near the Old North Bridge or on the village green. 
I was enthralled with all,
and determined on a way to try to preserve and share.


I explored one possibility of encasing pressed specimens
in the 8 mil lamination pockets available at our Staples store.
Some sealed better than others, but at least
it was something. (The copy center clerks commented
more than once on my project, but were kind about
what probably seemed a little quirky.)
Son Riley, the recipient of this one, sent me back a text pic
to show me that he had received it and to say 'thank you'.
His message included a one-sentence report to tell me
that he and Amy had taken a trip into American Fork
canyon near our home to view that autumn foliage.
Yes, we know that Utah's Fall color can hold up
to all comparison, and it was a pleasant reminder.


Nevertheless, we are here in New Hampshire,
and I am extolling beauties new and present.
This following picture is of a PINK wild 'toadstool'
in the foothill forest surrounding Goffstown.
It was a wonderful surprise, and at first glance,
I thought it was a piece of China-plastic litter.
(Amazing that God's creation can even DO
bubblegum pink shiny botanical!)
I'll wrap up with a few more 'savable' images,
as I use this blog as a journal of sorts.
Here is the 'far' image of a maple leaf branch.
And here a closer view. Leaf color is unique between
the various species of trees, varies from maple
to maple, and even widely varied within a single tree.
(I have a manuscript rumbling around in my head
that may end up sometime being put into print as
"The Parable of the Colored Leaves".)
 The oak trees are slower to turn, so I was pleased
to see and capture this low, branch end cluster of
round lobe oak leaves. Gorgeous.
What a blessing that God can paint the world this way!
 Many of the photos in my phone look more like this:
an isolated leaf, full of color, but also showing
the signs of wear from a summer's worth of work.
Vince thinks I'm just a little silly about singling them out,
but I do love the contrast with a background like this asphalt.
He's probably right - but I'll keep my shutter clicking!
Lots of ways to enjoy this wonderful world that has
been given to us as mortal children of our Heavenly Father.
A mental comparison bleeped across my consciousness recently - 
rejoicing at single leaves as I am may be like seeking lower floor
'practice' room hallways to listen to scales and arpeggios and 
warm up exercises, when just upstairs in the central concert hall
an accomplished soprano (in the guise of a forest of color)
 is nailing a Carmen aria!
One at a time, or by the millions, the beauty of October here
continues to fill my lamp during every daylight moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment