Sunday, March 8, 2020

Song of the Heart and A Prayer

Of course, I'm paraphrasing a lovely modern-day scripture here:
" . . .[a] song of the heart . . . is a prayer unto me . . ."
(from Doctrine & Covenants 25:12). And that song in my heart
is corollary to my experiences preparing and performing
as accompanist with lovely Nora today in church.
But first, a weather report:
 The feeling of spring is in the air, and with the change to
daylight savings time, we found a few minutes to go for a walk
on the rail trail this late afternoon. I asked Vince to take
a shot of this "vintage" direction post on the rail trail
(W is for Warner, after all) and a neighborly golden retriever
also on a walk with her owner couldn't stay away!
 This sign marker on the trail has been under the snow
for a couple months til recently, and . . . 
. . . this is what is left of the wonderful snowy trail
that we had hoped to enjoy much longer.
That forecast back in late November saying the heavy
10" of snowfall so very early in the season was a signal
that it would be a mild winter (seemed so upside down
in logic to me) has proved to be true.
Here, below, is one of the water seeps through the rocky
walls on one section of the trail that escapes through
the layers, hits the air and still meets cold enough temps
to turn to ice. Wish you could hear the tuneful trickle!
Back to my musical blessing: This is Nora Sansoucie who is
a member of the Canterbury Ward, recently returned from
college in the West. Opportunities for vocal training have
come her way in earlier secondary school situations
and she has developed a very lovely voice and vocal
presentation. It was my pleasure and opportunity to be
her accompanist for a Katie Bastian arrangement of
Emma Lou Thayne's "Where Can I Turn for Peace".
(Nora rocked her special musical number in sacrament
meeting today! Very moving and spirit-inviting.)
I've been thinking (as I often am) of my wonderful mother
Helen as we celebrated her Feb. 27th birthday,
who is responsible for my opportunities to learn and play piano.
She worked hard for her own musical opportunities
as a young adult, and was committed, probably from that time,
that her children would have a chance at music.
Here in this vintage '60s photo, below, are the three eldest
Glissmeyer children at the family piano.  One of my favorites!
(Jeff went on to excel at trombone and received college music
scholarship; I DID NOT really play the recorder, but spent
many hours in front of the black lacquer piano;
Elana - who literally is a "babe in arms" in this photo -
teaches and is an accomplished accompanist;
and Eric who came a few years later, has perhaps
the longest musical list of accomplishments, both vocal
and instrumental.)
Thanks also to Dad who paid for instruments & lessons!
I'd like to record an interesting aspect of my piano experience
here: the use of humidity stabilizers on the NE church pianos.
Here, below, you can see the fluid receptacle that is
connected to the upright in the Relief Society room, along
with the electrical plug. I was baffled by this when I first saw it,
and started to pay attention to all the pianos I got to "touch". 
 I noticed the chapel piano was also "plugged in" and
that brought to mind something I thought curious about
the new Lehi Stake Center chapel where we come from in Utah
An electrical outlet had been installed without apparent reason nearby.
(This one, below, is for the Manchester chapel baby grand.)
Perhaps the building designers have a standard for ALL
pianos, regardless of the region where they may be installed.
Here is the notice that has been somewhat casually but
intentionally posted on all the major pianos - instructions
to close up the top and key 'lids' completely.
When I asked, someone referred to the need to 
"humidify" the instruments so they would stay in tune!
NOW that seemed illogical in a place where, when we arrived,
EXCESS humidity was what we experienced.
A better explanation eventually was offered, vocalized by Michael
the paid piano tuner, here on assignment as a sub contractor
from New York state. I asked him about it, and he called it
"humidity stabilizer". I had just finished practicing on the chapel
piano the very cold day when he arrived, and when I stepped back
to ask another question, I found him on his back under
the baby grand, so I decided to check once he was gone.
Tubing!  and . . .
. . . electrical controls, and . . .
 . . . monitoring displays. Quite extensive and sophisticated.
Love it when those in charge CARE about the instruments!
Now I'll report about something else very special that has
filled my lamp in the past few weeks.
Pres. Beck has encouraged the Districts across the mission
to plan a group activity once per transfer period so these
wonderful missionaries can have some fun interactions
on their 'P' days. We stumbled on the information that
the Manchester/Bedford/Concord/Canterbury district
was planning a "bowling" activity, and we asked to tag along.
What we encountered was "candle pin" bowling, with
hand-sized balls (if you look closely you can see them
being held in one hand by many of the missionaries),
and narrow pins. You get three balls to throw per "turn",
and the pins are not "re-set" or cleared between throws.
Fallen pins are part of the "action" on subsequent throws.
No finger holes and very little spinning for effect.
We did not fare that well, but it was still a blast.
As we finished up, after taking these pics, I got a call
from son Cory, indicating that he was having a rough day
with his depression and associated darkness. He asked
that we pray for him - so I texted these wonderful young
missionaries, and they all said they would pray as well.
(Thanks so much to Elders Johnson, Pace; Sisters Parry,
Drollinger, Semadeni, Ladle, Throckmorton and Linford;
and Elders Beckstrand and White.)
But then they electronically huddled (I guess) and put
together a boxful of things that make them feel better,
to send off to Cory!
Above, Hermanas Ladle and Throckmorton
arrived in the office to ask if I could provide Cory's
mailing address.
I hope it filled Cory's lamp as much as it did mine!

And one final topic: the Annual Mission History.
As Mission Recorder, this is one of my responsibilities.
The handbook shown here explains that preparing and
collecting these histories helps us fulfill a commandment
recorded in D&C 69:3, 5 to continue in writing and making
a history . . . and to report . . . our stewardships.
 This effort points out something we encounter daily:
the transient nature of our volunteer temp work.
The first half of 2019 on which I reported I was NOT here.
So I do what I can for that part, then do my
diligent best on the rest I was here for.
The 2020 history will be prepared and submitted by
my replacement -- though I will try to have much of it ready.
Here is the 2.5" stack of sheets on President Beck's desk
waiting for his signature when he arrives Monday morning,
well ahead of my March 31st deadline. Whooohooo!
More oil in my lamp from mother Helen who taught me to write
and report, and to daughter Kenzie who showed me how to use
the graphic arts programs I used to compose many of the pages.
Richly blessed again, and ready to take
our light on the road this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment