Sunday, June 7, 2020

Be Civilized

Though a troubled time in the world around us,
this has been a fun, busy, uplifting and hope-filled week,
and we have had plenty of oil replaced in our lamps!
My topic of conversation today is about helping and 
serving. Hunkering down in the apartment,
we've been watching a lot of television. Over and over we
heard the appeal for blood donations. We felt so helpless to
serve the community, and here finally was something
 open to us. 'Twas an uphill battle to make it work.
Before that story continues, I share more of these
gorgeous early summer plants we keep encountering. 
This one apparently is a rhododendron, from our walk on 
St. Anselm's campus nearby here in Goffstown, NH.
Also adorning that campus near the dorms was this
"moss phlox" bush - such a flurry of tiny flowers!
And finally, this dark-leaf black maple with its pink and
yellow-green whirligig seed pods. Such a beautiful and
early summer nod to the hope for re-forestation in the future!
With the exit of the other office senior couples, we now
share space and time with the three young Elders who
have received "special assignments" to do Mission
office secretarial (Elder Wells, left), housing (Elder Allison),
and Finance/Accounting (Elder T. Smith). They are young,
and energetic, and happy, and delightful to be around.
We have agreed to take special care about COVID
exposures, so that we can work together in our office space.
They have exchanged the usual Monday young missionary
Preparation Day (P-Day) to match up with
business routines of the office, prepping on Saturday instead.
When they discovered we play tennis at our complex,
they suggested (since they can't find a public court they say)
that we ALL play together. So that's what we did yesterday.
Saturday had some complications, so Vince received
this text, with a caveat about the "tiwi" driver feedback system
(installed in each mission vehicle to help them all drive safely). 
For me, it was a wonderful week. I feel more like I am
serving and that I belong here, having a chance to see
our beloved young people as they came in to pick up
the new re-assigned, or the returning to re-assignment
young Elders and Sisters (19 of them!) on Mon and Tues.
Then on Friday, I was able to serve Sisters and Elders in Nashua 
and Keene by delivering materials (and Panera bagels) to them. 
On Saturday, we were blessed to to get the assignment
to be people-courier up to W Lebanon where we met up
with and had late lunch with the Burlington2 Sisters
(Sisters Ashcraft from Alaska, Hemond from Texas and
Niepraschk from California). Having seen the newly assigned
companions earlier in the week realize they could exchange 
rare hugs, I negotiated a "we testify to our health" hug with each
of these beautiful young women. I can't express how much
I have missed that. Spiritual oil in my lamp, certainly!

Now, back to our effort to "make a difference".
COVID safety restrictions and concerns have ratcheted down
the number of donors that can be served at usual walk-in
locations, and governmental directives restricted blood drives.
When we contacted the American Red Cross by phone, 
available appointments were weeks out and sometimes
involved driving a distance. But we finally made our schedule and
possibilities mesh. Vince has been a regular donor, but for me
this would be a first (a blood element deficiency seemed
to preclude my participation formerly).
The wait in line was extended, and distancing in full effect.
Eventually we were prepared and squeezing to help pump.
Very quickly our volume goals were reached.
I had no problems until the very end, and then . . .
. . .  I suddenly (embarrasingly) felt light headed and 
nauseous.  As I fought to settle sensations, thoughts and
wretch-reflex, I inventoried internally for self-treatment.
 "Put your head down" came to mind,
as the benevolent tech adjusted my bed to raise my feet,
placing a cool cloth on lowered forehead. I silently prayed for aid,
calmness, control, and as usual, my prayers were answered.
And then, a CONNECTION was clarified:
in moments of trouble, crisis, distress or confusion,
I have regularly been promised relief as I put my HEAD DOWN --
and reach up to my Father in Heaven in PRAYER!!
The week that has passed has seen an amazing amount
of national distress, prompting a lot of "heads down" reactions
for those opting against putting "fists" and posters UP.
A FaceBook re-post from my Paris study abroad associate 
Susan Davenport Creager caught my mind and pulled
at my thinking. (Apologies if you've already seen this.)

I had studied Ms. Mead extensively as a senior BYU student.
Many were the lessons from her publications.
This lesson would, for me, be near the top of the list.

Another day, as I leafed through the Goffstown neighborhood 
news, I was delighted by this headline and the article.
Nice to be caught doing something good!
And then this --
 a stitched token of appreciation arrived from T. Semadeni,
mother to one of "our" flight group missionaries.
Pure love is where the balm to heal this troubled world
will be found.
Finally, something from our weekly study tied together this theme.
Book of Mormon scriptural passage for
 Latter-Day Saint families for today's Sunday study
offers these words: "And see that ye have faith, hope, and 
charity, and then ye will always abound in good works."
(Alma 7:24)

Faith that our days can get calmer.
Hope that troubling times will get worked through.
Charity for each other.

These will help light lamps as we continue together.
Praying for a blessed week.

No comments:

Post a Comment