Sunday, September 6, 2020

Where's Walden?

On September 1st - Tuesday last - I dashed off on errands
to the nearby commercial district of Hooksett, a couple of
miles northeast of the Mission Office, and was delighted
and lifted at this wonderful visual indicator that we
are turning a corner toward autumn!

In my post from last weekend, I chronicled the territorial
changes afoot, and that just the recently-new stuff.
Here, below, I am SAFELY standing on the foot ladder
to install the "expansion pack" display boards that will
allow us to easily view the 230+ missionaries now serving
here under our jurisdiction, and those to be added.
(Thanks to young Elder T. Smith for his clever 
turn of phrase as we were counseling together about this.)
I count it a blessing to live where I'm able to observe
and experience the dramatic annual season shifts.
For this post I present a snapshot from the historical
locale and experiences of Henry David Thoreau,
so it is fitting to begin with a quote from him.
Live in each Season
as it passes:
And here's his advice (coming down through all these years)
that I try to continually let run through my thoughts,
expressed on my Walden Pond gift shop tee-shirt):
One "happenings" tidbit first:
In his role as vehicle coordinator, Vince's duties include
taking charge of the new mission vehicles when they arrive
at whichever auto dealership has agreed to act as
"middle man" for deliveries, as well as de-commissioning
those cars that have maxed out in mileage age.
Within a day of making this drive south for the previous eight
cars, he was notified that six more had been delivered.
So he sought and received permission to take these
young missionaries slightly out of the mission to
Arlington's Mirak Auto, so they could each, INDIVIDUALLY,
drive a Rav 4 back to Manchester.
 Above, they are loading into the mission van
(Elders Peterson, Ostvig, M. Smith, Wells, T. Smith,
Edstrom and Allison) to go down to MA, and here, below, 
I was able to capture them arriving "home", to park each
new car at the edge of the lot. For vehicle and person
protection, world-wide missionary rules require that each
driver have a "backer" to guide them whenever their
travel requires that operation. It was slightly humorous
to see them scramble that afternoon -- usually their
co-driver/passenger hops out to be the "backer".
Since they were each driving alone, they had to switch
around to do this for each other.
Now more about Mr. Thoreau.
Consciousness of him and his transcendental writing
came to me during high school English studies,
and I remember vividly having the following quote
resonate with me, even in only the second decade
of my life.
Early contemplation of our service here so very close
to his "haunts" in life prompted discussions with my well-read
son Cory, and plans to visit places important in Thoreau's life.
Here, below, is his modest grave marker in the family plot
that is part of "Sleepy Hollow" cemetery in Concord, MA
which I captured with cell camera the afternoon of my Walden visit.
(I plan to include more about that interesting place another time.)
 Henry's philosophical journey, observations and expressions
were strongly influenced by writers and thinkers of his day,
 including friends Ralph Waldo Emerson and the Alcotts.
Always interesting the reaction generated by initial
mention of this group - folks usually appear somewhat taken
aback, whether due to foggy recollection of who they were,
or possible skepticism of what they were advocating.


For myself, I can pick and choose those bits that seem to serve
best my own life path and beliefs, including respect and
appreciation for nature, trying to live simply and aim above the petty, 
and abundant introspection and self-analysis regarding motives.
With a day planned for sightseeing, I stopped early to visit
Walden Pond. So HERE is my FIRST confession:
my mind was envisioning a mid-nineteenth century experience
(but here we are in the second decade of the Twenty-first!).
 I knew, of course, that Walden would be a protected site.
Words from the introduction to a Windows to the Wild NH PBS show:
We are at Walden Pond, an almost mythical place known for
pristine wilderness and isolation. It is where
Henry David Thoreau spent time alone to reflect on
a world far removed from HERE.
Well, that turns out to be not all quite true.
And the REALITY of Walden Pond might surprise you.
(If interested in viewing that 26 min. program,
follow this LINK.)
Too bad I hadn't heard those words before my trip,
so that I could have avoided that GOTCHA moment!
Here, below, is a professional aerial photo of the pond
(these shots in foliage country are ALWAYS taken in FALL).
At lower right corner, the linear swath that cuts through trees is
a Boston commuter rail corridor. When my hike around the pond
took me close - at the halfway point in the circuit - I was
surprised to hear the very modern noisiness of a passing train.
Later, as I mentioned this to Cory, he informed me that
even when Thoreau lived there, the rail right of way existed.
This stone marquee, below, is near the pond. 
Well BEFORE that the scales were falling from my eyes! 
I knew there would be designated parking, since I had 
researched operating hours and conditions at least superficially. 
But since the site is public and open (not gated), 
operational and upkeep funding comes through parking fees 
(l'll spin this as my way to abundantly chip in -
'cause it was not CHEAP for this non-resident!)
Once I found a parking spot - in LOT E, the first not designated
as 'FULL', I was beginning to GET IT.
When coming back from the parking pass kiosk, I saw a slender
woman standing at car hatchback, removing "over clothes" 
to uncover her swimsuit. I realized I had been VERY naive. 
This WOULD NOT be what I imagined. Turns out this is 
really just a historic neighborhood swimming hole.

Here, below is a very lovely image (better than mine) of
the replica of Thoreau's original cabin, constructed by the MA 
State Parks Service near the original spot. 
Henry came here, partly because the land was owned
by his friend Ralph Waldo Emerson - from whence
comes my slightly twisted post title reference.
And here, below, is the view of the pond from where
the original cabin stood. According to answers.com:
Thoreau moved to a small one-room cabin in the hopes that
by living simply and purely, he could attain
a more meaningful life.
He lived there for two years, walking to Concord to visit
friends and share meals, and to conduct surveyor work.
Here is an evocative image from within the cabin
looking out at scenes Thoreau might have viewed.
For me, it captures all those internal questions I'm
asking myself  --
What would he think if he could see it now?
 I visited during COVID 2020. Things are different.
The trail was 'converted' into single direction.
Since the flavor of this report is somewhat sour,
I think it appropriate to include this trail intersection sign
that contains it's own mixed message:
The hikers graphic shows the people walking one way,
but the arrow is telling the viewers to walk the OTHER way.
(As a designer with graphics, I know it would have been 
so simple to flip the hikers to match the arrow directional!
Just the kind of thing that drives me crazy.)
Interesting would have been my potential observations 
if the trail had been busier - to see how many people 
respond to the hiker graphic, rather than to the arrow below it.
This matches a Thoreau quote very appropriately!

Through the parking lot, across the roadway crosswalk,
down the pathway, and finally at the edge of the sandy beach,
I discovered why it had been necessary to go clear back to Lot E.
The public swimming area was being thoroughly enjoyed!
Here, below, I only caught a corner of the floating barrier buoys
and a few of the swimmers. I spent my 1.5 hours while hiking
around the pond trying my best to PRETEND there were NO
others there, carefully staging my photos accordingly.
I share a few of the views from the forested trail.
Occasionally the path veered away from the pond's edge.
 Capturing here, below, a matted photo and Thoreau quote
that I knew Cory would like, from the gift shop:
Easy to see why the locals love this spot. Beautiful!
 When the trail comes close enough, the beach front
access is improved and convenient, either as stone-lined
walkways and steps, or as sandy beach. 
Aren't these just the most wonderful blended colors!
 I captured this nice view, below, with branches strategically
hiding the paddle boarders, picnickers and swimmers, near
the far end away from entrance - near the train corridor.
At lower right corner, I "cropped in" the wire fencing
so that I could make a comment here.
Deteriorating conditions along the bank and trail
could be seen continually, with officially-posted messages
warning visitors to "stay on the trail", cautions to allow
the sensitive plant ecosystems a chance to recover.
Yet, those HUMANS seemed to think it was instruction
 intended ONLY for someone else. Wires were spread and bent 
so visitors could climb through to these prime spots, and swimmers
had regularly hung their drying towels over the wires 
right next to the cautionary signage. Incredible.
Although I can characterize my experience as mostly
disillusioning, I am thankful to have had a chance
to correct my expectation. And to visit this famous site,
and ponder again on the things that Thoreau can teach.
Walking back up the trail (past the water craft launch area),
and back up along the sidewalk, I spotted this nice
but still ironic sign. Would Henry be happy?
As I exited the parking lot just the short couple of hours
after arriving, police were onsite there re-directing traffic.
This temporary but well-used tent sign was positioned
in the center of the roadway.
"WALDEN POND CLOSED
NO ENTRY TO PARK
UNTIL CROWDING EASES".
At least the officials realize there could be impacts,
but perhaps this is mostly a COVID-19 extremity.
Regardless of the chippy tenor of my commentary here,
I love [nearly] everything about our New England experiences.
Later that day, I would escape to the peace and solitude
of a famous cemetery.
Below is my parting quote, with best wishes that
you, my friends who are reading this, can find
your own piece of Heaven this week.

1 comment:

  1. 240+ missionaries - Wow! Beautiful pictures of Walden Pond! I have never been there, but now I will be prepared if I ever do!

    ReplyDelete