Sunday, January 26, 2020

Ladybug Conundrum

Since the days when the weather outside was a sustained
overnight freezing, we have experienced a ladybug infestation
in our apartment. I understand that this is common here.
For me, it is a bother to have bugs sharing our small space.
To give you a better idea of what I mean, here is a flurry
of what we deal with every day:
in the bathroom on Vince's toothbrush;
 in the extra bedroom/studio on the wall clock;
again in the bathroom, as a pair on the sink ledge
(we often see them in multiples - this morning there
was a pair on the bathroom crystal light bulb cover,
seemingly in contention, with the little one 
harassing the larger one).
Most typically, they seem to like to crawl up into
the crease where ceiling and wall join.
I remember one that I spotted there, who didn't move
for three days - I thought he was dead, but then he "awoke".
  Vince has studied bugs, and is fascinated and somewhat
enamored. He kind of likes them "up close and personal".
My response usually culminated with flushing water!
Until I decided the water use could no longer be justified,
and then I called on Vince to "remove" them for me.
His overly-kindhearted approach was to capture them by hand,
or now more regularly by knocking them off the wall into a cup.
Then he diligently walks them to the outside vestibule
or to the warmer-temp-day deck and sets them free.
Of course, they probably know the direct way back into
the apartment (likely through the bathroom air vent).
When I protest, he patiently explains that lady bugs
are NOT really pests because they eat aphids and
are therefore beneficial. I ask if there are any aphids in
the apartment . . . and around and around we verbally go.
Elder Warner even used our "Lady Bug Conundrum" in a general
email to the Elders and Sisters in the field to illustrate some
principle of kindness - obliquely suggesting that because I
want them eliminated, I am the villain in this scenario.
* * * * *
Last Sunday, it was somewhat humorously ironic that
Brother Perrin from the Canterbury Ward wore his
ladybug novelty dress tie. It caught Elder Warner's eye,
and he grabbed me to come look, thinking, I believe, that
he could use this as ammunition for his clemency argument.

On the other hand, a different red creature has caught
my fancy during these winter months.
We have a red cardinal couple who visit our environs
on a regular basis. Here is the perky male perched on
the closest crest of the storage "barn" that I see out my
dressing room window.
 Here is another shot, where he has moved to the opposite
end, as though staking out his territory.
 And here, below, is a closer view.
eEnclycopaedic information informs me that these
red birds are associated with winter viewing because
they are often heartier and don't fly south.
I also think their rich and vibrant colors make them less
invisible during the bleak winter-colored landscapes.
 Vince has hung a bird feeder on our deck balcony so that he
can watch the "show" of many birds. We have seen the cardinals
feed there, but they are so skittish that I haven't been
able to snap one. When any other birds fly in to feed,
the cardinals immediately leave, even though they are larger.
Surprising. 
Guess red plumage doesn't have priority as I assumed.
* * * * *
I have harbored this fascination for quite a while - 
to create a 3D cardinal from card stock as a published design. 
Finally got that done this week.
Perhaps this one can celebrate those we see through windows.
Here's how I will connect my observation and interaction
with these two creatures of nature to "filling of my lamp":

Behaviors I have taken note of suggest to me that
bugs and birds are seeking comfort. The lady bugs want to be
inside when the temperatures drop. They like the ceiling angle
which may feel protective. Cardinals stay safely out of range
and isolated, and are quick to flee, even when 
the movement nearby is caused by other feeding birds.

This idea links in my mind with comments made last week
in the Canterbury Ward conference meeting.
Though I was answering a phone call in the hall when it happened
and didn't hear it first hand, it was alluded to:
young woman Sister Astoria Campbell included in her
invocation a request that we would all be blessed soon to travel
home "safely" where we could put on our "comfortable" clothes.
Later in his address, her father Bishop Duncan Campbell 
spoke about his hope that we would all be "comfortable" 
when we come to worship together at our Sunday meetings.
Sharing his feelings of "ward family" and common acceptance
and ministering to each other, he delivered a quote:
"We should leave those uncomfortable things we have
overcome where they belong - in the PAST. 
Experiences should, instead, be considered as
LIFE LESSONS and not LIFE SENTENCES."
Brother Makechnie also included in his remarks a reference
to the feeling of help and succor that we should look forward to
when we join together on Sunday to worship and learn.
"After all" he said, "this is the hospital we are coming to,
where we should expect to be healed and comforted."

Matthew 11:28
Come unto me, all ye who labour and are heavy laden,
and I will give you rest.

So . . .
I will try to endure the ladybug infestation until the weather turns
warm outside, and they re-discover their more "natural" habitat.
And I will relish sightings of those glorious cardinals 
whenever they come.

While ladybugs will surely be on 
my "WILL NOT BE MISSED" list, possibly catching a glimpse 
of one [outside] will bring fond remembrances of 
other things that WILL BE MISSED.
Like the friendships we have made, the acceptance and love
we experience with our Canterbury Ward family,
the sweet witness we feel as individuals find
the peace and hope in the Gospel of Jesus Christ,
the lush and ubiquitous forest land, and
the rich feelings of being here in New England.
Drop by drop. Burning strong!

PS: we also have beautiful blue jays in the neighborhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment