Sunday, January 5, 2020

Welcoming A Snowy New Year

 The days between the holidays, in theory, represent a time
of relaxation and renewal, continuation of visits with
family and friends, and a vague gesture of peeking
toward the new year that looms 'just around the corner'.
I borrowed this fun image from new friend Tamar C.
from the Canterbury Ward: it makes me think of Jack Frost
indulging in a leisurely afternoon of 'horizontal'.
 I also wanted to share a winter view of my favorite 
Goffstown, NH red barn (on Mountain Base Road)
with a little bit of snow. 
(Now I have captured it in three different seasons.) 
Winter weather actually 'hijacked'
our New Year's Day office holiday, with freezing rain and other
advisory forecasts prompting Pres. Beck to move
the Mission Leadership Conference from the 'Eve to the Day.
We did actually experience freezing rain, and for me it was
a new experience. I have heard or read that description
and struggled with it: of course RAIN freezes . . .
and becomes SNOW!
But what we encountered as we drove to the office
was the tinkling sound of tiny, frozen raindrops pinging
off the windshield. Made for slippery walking!
Above, I want to share what the NH residents do to prepare
their out-in-the-weather parked car for imminent snow:
They flip the wipers into the 'up' position, to keep them
from freezing stuck to the glass or buried under snow! Smart.
* * * * *
Continuing the theme of snowflakes, I want to document
a filling of my lamp experience that surprised me back in 
November. A small package arrived from an unrecognized
 address and I was curious to see its contents.
Once opened, I remembered a brief email conversation I had
where permission was requested (I just LOVE honest crafters!)
to use one of my 2014 winter digital designs in 
a Silhouette America-sponsored teaching event. 
I agreed (usually do when principled folks ask) and begged
to see the finished product she would be demonstrating.
Pictured above is the plastic disc 
with etched design using my "Wonder of A Snowflake"
poem, made into ornaments. She had kept her promise to
send me a few following the event. Since we are celebrating
things snow-y, I share my original verse that was etched:
wonder of a snowflake
crystalized near heaven
each one like no other
dancing on a downdraft
knitting with it's neighbors
weaving winter's blanket
Thanks, Elly, for making me feel important, and
that my designs have interest and merit!
Meanwhile . . .
 Vince was pleased that more snow had arrived,
and tested it on the back lawn of the apartment complex
(as seen from my workroom apartment window).
 Following two pics were from a post-Christmas Day
XC skiing outing that we enjoyed on the rail trail
in Goffstown. A little icy, but wonderful scenery
and fun to be out of doors and active!
(Can you smell the wood stove smoke wafting?)
I handed the camera off to him for a rare shot of me, too.
We are "collecting" rail trail cross country 
skiing experiences - more about that next week.
In addition to the MLC event at the Mission Office/
Manchester Chapel keeping us busy, Vince organized 
an 'outing' with the Canterbury sisters 
(whose area is 25 minutes away)
to follow a request by a ward member to visit
a physical therapy client of hers living in a nursing home.
(We snapped this pic later, at the wardhouse:
Sister Linford, Sister Parry, and us.)
 The lady we visited was Bernice, a 96 year old
resident in the Merrimack County Nursing Home
in Boscawen, near Canterbury. Unannounced,
we traveled and met up, and were directed to her room,
introduced ourselves, chatted about lightly interesting
things, and were thoroughly delighted by her friendliness,
her beautiful appearance, and her seeming well-being.
(Below is a summer-time picture of the facility.)
 When we deemed it time to leave, Elder Warner offered
to say a prayer for her, and she agreed.
(Vince says that people rarely deny that request.)
Then we got ready to depart, and the young sisters
asked if they could stop in again to visit.
We each shared a hand-shake, but when these
two wonderful and spiritually-radiant young women
reached out to her, she was visibly touched
and became slightly emotional. The change from 
superficial to deep feelings was like a Mission miracle.
* * * * *
Two days later, on Saturday, we attended a baptism
in Plymouth, NH, where young Sister Bell is serving
with companion Sister Smith. (Sister Bell had 
served previously in the Canterbury Ward where we
came to love, cherish and respect her.)
We took them out to dinner as we like to do,
and asked the cute young university student Eric
who was our server to snap this picture.
NOTE: I'm once again wearing my favorite blue sweater,
even though the pictures in this post were NOT captured
the same day; funny commentary on my limited wardrobe!)
So I began this new year and decade having my lamp
filled and my heart touched, by many people,
and in many ways. Blessings are abundant!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

And now a parting shot of Pogo the cat at home in Lehi
taking to bed with him his favorite catnip pillow Christmas gift.
Thanks to Cory for sharing this heart-warmer with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment